P45

P45

Sunday 31 October 2010

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Soundtrack: The Clash - Should I Stay or Should I Go?

So I'm a Jumper!

As in Jumped-not-Pushed.

To volunteer for redundancy in these times might seem, well – a bit crazy.

As RedundancyDad said to me – 'But love, are you sure?!'

And to be honest, I'm not really.

It's a massive gamble that might well backfire. And although I have plenty of ideas, I have no real plan as to what to do next. Although, for dull reasons I won't bore you with yet, I felt as though I didn't have much choice. As the song says - if I go there will be trouble and if I stay it will be double.

But I wonder how many other people are volunteering at the moment?

In our gaff, more people went for it then they could accept – which is surprising considering the less-than-enticing job prospects for a public sector worker right now.

But it's a very individual decision.  Not an easy decision. One that has to be made entirely on your personal circumstance - there is definitely not a right or wrong answer.

The best advice I heard was from one of our union branch reps. His take on it was that you shouldn’t be dragged into complicated sums over settlements for compulsory/voluntary, notice given or anything else. If you want to leave and fancy your chances – go. If you're not sure, stay and fight for your job.

I'm not sure I fancy my chances. But go I seem to be doing...

Anyone else out there just volunteered?

I have a friend in her late eighties who as well as being one of the funniest people I know and great company on a night out, is a constant supply of sage advice.

But her take on the situation worried me – 'Well, dear – you know what you're doing.'

If only I did.

I'm seeing her next week – I'll report back on what she actually thinks when she hears my decision...... ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment